3660 Shirley Road Youngstown, Ohio 44502
Phone: (330) 781-1808
Position Title: Day Camp Counselor
Department: Program Services
Job Status: Non-Exempt Seasonal Position
June 26, 2023-August 3, 2023
Hourly Rate: $14.00
Reports To: Executive Director
Supervises: Summer Aides and workers
The Day Camp Counselor is responsible for planning, leading, and implementing core and non-core programs and experiences for children in a small group setting. They will also be responsible for the general safety and development, growth, and skill achievement of the participants in his/her group. The incumbent will provide high quality outdoor educational and recreational experiences for participants that focus on core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
- Execute the weekly schedule for the camp groups.
- Organize and lead a variety of small and large group activities each week. Activities may include crafts, nature, songs, games, and family events, etc. This includes time spent on the bus.
- Identify and respond to camper behavior issues.
- Ensure that the site is kept clean, organized, and free of litter.
- Communicate with parents about participant’s experiences and report concerns to Executive Director.
- Assist in maintaining accurate program records including incident reports, logbook documentation, and daily attendance.
- Know and understand ALL emergency procedures associated with the camp program.
- Know, enforce, and follow all safety guidelines associated with the camp and all program areas. This includes but is not limited to being responsible for your campers’ safety and their whereabouts at all times.
- Help guide summer aides and volunteers to have a deeper understanding of leadership and counseling skills. Supervise the summer camp aids and volunteers. Work closely with the Program Coordinator to assure summer camp programming is running smoothly.
- High School, GED or Bachelor’s degree completed or in progress.
- Background check BCI/FBI day camp code.
- Upon hire, completion of First Aid and CPR certification.
- Education classes or experience in camp, youth programs, recreation, working with children and parents, or in a related field.
- Ability to lead, plan, organize, and implement program activities.
- Strong organizational, good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work as a member of a team and the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office products.
- Must have a car, driver’s license and proof of insurance.
- Knowledge of legislation, regulations, policies and procedures for involving youth in community programs.
Interested candidates please email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org